Blog Archive

Friday, March 6, 2009

One of my Hang-ups = Chewing Sounds

I'm sure there is some huge character flaw that I am revealing in admitting that one of the things that I find most annoying is when you can hear people eating/chewing their food. I don't know what it is...but I find it horrifically annoying. It is like fingers on a chalkboard for me. I bring this up because under some social situations, I think that eating and making the associated noises (opening one's velcro sealed lunch tote, opening bags of chips, eating raw carrots...) is just plain wrong when you are in a meeting.

This week I was in lots of all day Board meeting and I was reminded again how much I hate chewing sounds. After the working lunch session and once the meeting had begun again in full swing, someone sitting near me proceeded to open their velcro fastened lunch bag, root around for items, and then eat lots of crunchy veggies. It was so out of place. It was driving me crazy. There was no attempt whatsoever to muffle the sounds. I don't know if I'm alone in this peeve, but I just had to unleash this hidden secret. It has been bothering me all week...and I know...in the grand scheme of things...this is sort of silly to be obsessing about. But I was...so there you have it.

Just be glad I didn't blog about the lady sitting across the room digging into her nose looking for something that she was obviously having trouble finding. Hello? Manners? Social Graces? I may be socially inept in terms of my introvertedness, but at least I know enough not to draw attention to myself by eating carrots during a meeting or picking my nose. Good Grief!!

No comments: