Thursday, December 31, 2009
Over the past year or so...I have rediscovered my love of the ballet flat. They are so cute and fun. I am currently in love with a pair...I may even commit to purchasing. The biggest question is - gold or silver. I'm partial to the gold for some reason. So pretty!! I think they are destined to be mine...
Monday, December 28, 2009
The last season...I was in graduate school...and had to miss most of it. For the past few years...I had been working through all four years worth of the DVDs...but got really busy and never finished. Well...on a whim...I decided I would take advantage of my cold and finish watching Season 4. I did. Wow. Watching the relationships grow. Watching it being several years older now with more life experience under my belt. It was emotionally draining...which is just how I like things.
It had me thinking about Twilight...I am not obsessed with it...haven't read the books...have only seen New Moon. But as I watching Felicity and her Ben vs. Noel drama...it reminded me of something. That struggle...in having to decide...so many good stories are based on that premise. It is frustrating for the reader...but it is what makes you dive in. I was thinking about my own past characters and how I used to have such a hard time with giving them flaws. It is the flaws that draw the reader in...sometimes getting frustrated (within reason) with the main character is a good thing.
My original idea for my NanoWrimo 09 Novel was based a bit on the struggle my main character has between deciding upon two very different male characters. I'm going to be sure to embellish that a bit in my re-write. After all, at some point, the main character has to make some bad choices...why else would one keep reading?
I can't end without a list of a few of my favorite Felicity Quotes - -
1) Sometimes it's the smallest decisions that can pretty much change your life forever.
2) Do you know what I definitely believe in? Fate -- that things happen for a reason.
3) It was like being one snowflake in a crazy blizzard. But then it occurred to me -- everyone's one snowflake.
4) The truth is I can't be with you like this. I mean, I know I said that I could, but I can't. I just can't compromise myself like that. I mean I'm an emotional person. I feel things and I need to be able to get upset and talk about how I'm feeling. I mean that's just...that's who I am and I can't change it. I don't want to. And the thing is you knew that, you knew it and you still pursued me because you want something with me, you just aren't strong enough to have it which...in a way makes you a coward. And the saddest part is that...one day you're gonna wake up and you're gonna realize what you missed and it's gonna be too late.
Friday, December 25, 2009
Here is a listing of some of the exciting things I did or discovered today with my new iPod Touch - -
1) Having all of my music on one ipod is fantastic...all of my music worlds have collided in one place...and it is glorious.
2) Setting up playlists for particular characters I am writing may be needed now as my "writing" playlist is insanely long and extremely eclectic.
3) Downloading the new version of iTunes (finally)...I have discovered iTunes University. Found lots of interesting courses on fiction writing and creative writing.
4) Realizing that there are apps for everything...even found one to track blood sugars, insulin, and activity...so this made my inner diavista very happy. Obviously I was totally meant to have this iPod.
5) Getting twitter, facebook, and blogger all set up...can't believe that I will be able to be "mobile" at the gym too. Can't wait to test it out tomorrow. Note, I will NOT access email on said device. Only writing related activities...or facebook...but status updates are creative writing...right??
6) Thinking about how cool it is going to be to have all my music in hand when working out. I feel kinda limitless...
7) Feeling like this one device is going to really help with all the things I want to get to back to...getting to the gym, writing, paying attention to my diabetes and hence on being a diavista. ;P Well...maybe I always am one...I am just seeking to be better balanced one.
Thursday, December 24, 2009
So, here is a list of all the things that I can look forward too...now that I will be home over the holidays:
1) SHOPPING!!! SHOPPING!! SHOPPING!!
2) Getting all of the books I found on Amazon for my novel research as soon as they arrive in the mail
3) Having Christmas Eve dinner at the Cabin in the Woods (Grandma’s favorite restaurant)
4) Using all of my cute Vera Bradley Gift Tags…see #1 above.
5) Working out at the gym everyday during my vacation…well except today…see #1 above.
6) Sleeping in my own comfy bed
7) Going to see Sherlock Holmes with my Mommy
8) Reading my NanoWrimo 09 Novel and then sitting at local Starbucks with my sister so we can compare notes (or maybe Panera???)
9) Drinking yummy beverages crafted my sister…aka Mixologist Leo…okay mostly Margaritas…
10) Continuing to ignore my blackberry…for the most part…
What am I not looking forward to?? Unpacking all of my bags…
Monday, December 21, 2009
A few updates to expound upon my first few days of vacation...in list form of course!!
1. Had a fabulous time at holiday party on Friday night...we let the snow come in...lots of fun...lots of pictures...and well wishes for the coming year. I got a new profile picture out of it...so that was a extra parting gift. ;)
2. Had the BEST Margarita ever on Friday once I got home (thanks sister)...tipsy...oh yes...and it was fantastic!! I remembered to take insulin...so I wasn't that bad off. ;) Come on, this is still me we are talking about.
3. Kept on top of the snow situation...only had to shovel out three times. Snaps to my sister for getting us out from the driveway to center of cul de sac. That chica is amazing...
4. Edited more of my NanoWrimo 09 novel...on page 40-something...so I am making progress.
5. Got a snazzy new haircut which is really a "classic" Joy style...and I have a really cute short ponytail. Perfect gym hair!!! ;)
6. Ahem...yes...with said perfect gym hair I had a great workout today...time on the bike...and an hour on the elliptical machine. Ipod blaring. I was in freaking heaven. I'm thinking that my "gym time" will be after work...great stress reliever before getting home. I have the next two weeks to get my ass in gear so that when I get back to work...I'll be so addicted that I will leave work at a reasonable hour to allow time at the gym. I know I can do this.
7. Joined a gym...this was my Christmas Present to myself. It will last the whole year long. I am so excited. Plus..there is a cafe...with WiFi...so I could write after my workout. I know right?? Talk about combining the two things I really need to focus more one...my writing and my diavista life.
In case you are curious...you have just read about OGYST...which translated means...Operation Getting Your Shit Together. A few months later than I wanted...but happening none the less. 2010 is going to be a good year. You heard it hear folks!!
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
PS - I realize that a gym is not going to do any of this for me. I still have to do the work. I still have to chose to spend time on me and not on work.
Monday, December 14, 2009
I went to work today like it was any other day...but my mind and heart were elsewhere. Our tribute last year must have been perfect, because we didn't feel like we needed to do something this year. Well, other than leave a light on for him. A tradition that we always did (and still do) for his father. I miss his hugs more than anything...and wish I had lingered just a bit longer on that last day. I will always remember his last words to me, "Drive Safe." And then in a few hours...he was gone.
Link to Last Year's Blog - Letting Go of the Strings
Sunday, December 13, 2009
Here is a list of things that I most admire about my best friend -
1) Her strength
2) Her patience
3) Her tolerance
4) Her calm
5) Her multifaceted ways - in so many things and interests
6) Her leoness (RAWR)
7) Her depth
8) Her persistence
9) Her fortitude
10) Her love (and did I mention tolerance??)
Saturday, December 12, 2009
It is not truly Christmas until I hear this song...and ever since HFS went away...the thrill of catching it on the radio is no longer possible. I love this song. It is the perfect fairy tale...with sax team to boot. Have you ever heard it? Do you love it too?
My Christmas Anthem - - THE WAITRESSES, CHRISTMAS WRAPPING, 1981
I love my name...I really do. Especially since I can get so many things that integrate it. I feel I should give myself some credit for exercising some restraint. There was a cute placemat I saw at Target that was garnet and sparkly that spelled out Joy. I have to thank my sister for this purchase...it was at my favorite store...Artisan's...and I had not even seen it the day before. I had to have it. I will enjoy it my whole life long!!
Monday, December 7, 2009
Sunday, December 6, 2009
Then it hit me, I have my new cute netbook and no bag for it. I decided on a Pleated Tote in Raspberry Fizz with a matching Amy (for pencils, sticky notes, USBs, and things). The tote is really cute and I am not sure how I have not noticed it before. Although I admit, it takes me a while to commit to new patterns and bag styles...well...in the regular patterns. I have mostly been addicted to her limited edition bags and the Stationary/Pens/Cards. I really think I should get some credit for all the things I have not purchased - like the ornaments, stockings, candles, wrapping paper, and gift bags.
My netbook really did need a bag and I can fit a spiral notebook in there too. It was totally a practical purchase. I was out and about in the snow...and thought some Vera would make the day THAT much better. Giddy Overload for sure...
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Okay...have you ever heard that song by Linkin Park? It is one of my very most favorites!! I love this time of year, but I have to admit, I miss NanoWrimo so much. Having that goal is so motivating!! I'm in wait mode at the moment with my draft novel...I am trying to just let it sit for a bit before I go back and remind myself what it is about. I figure, I'll let my sister take a first read, and then I can dive back in.
In the meantime, I'm goofing off on Facebook. ;) And You Tube...