Blog Archive

Monday, December 28, 2009

How the Story Ends...

So the one plus to getting sick just after the holidays was that I was exhausted and collapsed for the past few days. I rested and napped and finally finished watching Felicity. For those of you who don't know, I LOVED this show. And not just because girls with adjectives as first names are very complex and intense...ahem...it was all about Ben and Noel. Who was she going to choose? I loved the idea that she had a feeling and went with it. I loved how she was so nutty. I loved how she grew. For a time, I actually arranged my school schedule around when it was on.

The last season...I was in graduate school...and had to miss most of it. For the past few years...I had been working through all four years worth of the DVDs...but got really busy and never finished. Well...on a whim...I decided I would take advantage of my cold and finish watching Season 4. I did. Wow. Watching the relationships grow. Watching it being several years older now with more life experience under my belt. It was emotionally draining...which is just how I like things.

It had me thinking about Twilight...I am not obsessed with it...haven't read the books...have only seen New Moon. But as I watching Felicity and her Ben vs. Noel drama...it reminded me of something. That struggle...in having to decide...so many good stories are based on that premise. It is frustrating for the reader...but it is what makes you dive in. I was thinking about my own past characters and how I used to have such a hard time with giving them flaws. It is the flaws that draw the reader in...sometimes getting frustrated (within reason) with the main character is a good thing.

My original idea for my NanoWrimo 09 Novel was based a bit on the struggle my main character has between deciding upon two very different male characters. I'm going to be sure to embellish that a bit in my re-write. After all, at some point, the main character has to make some bad choices...why else would one keep reading?

I can't end without a list of a few of my favorite Felicity Quotes - -

1) Sometimes it's the smallest decisions that can pretty much change your life forever.

2) Do you know what I definitely believe in? Fate -- that things happen for a reason.

3) It was like being one snowflake in a crazy blizzard. But then it occurred to me -- everyone's one snowflake.

4) The truth is I can't be with you like this. I mean, I know I said that I could, but I can't. I just can't compromise myself like that. I mean I'm an emotional person. I feel things and I need to be able to get upset and talk about how I'm feeling. I mean that's just...that's who I am and I can't change it. I don't want to. And the thing is you knew that, you knew it and you still pursued me because you want something with me, you just aren't strong enough to have it which...in a way makes you a coward. And the saddest part is that...one day you're gonna wake up and you're gonna realize what you missed and it's gonna be too late.

No comments: