Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

2013 Rewind (March – October): My Inaugural DC United STH Season


If I were to start from the beginning, this technically should be part of a 2012 rewind as well…at the end of the 2012 DC United Season.  I still have the sticky notes in my DC United file where I “mathed out” how much money I would save by being a Season Ticket Holder (STH).  As it turns out, what I gained was much more than what I saved (and that includes the 15% discount at the Team Store!!). 

I had no expectations other than not paying ticket processing fees and perhaps a few more events throughout the year.  As a sports fan, there is something empowering about solidifying your support for your team…so I did feel that too.  I was pledging to stand up for the Black and Red…no matter what.   It felt good.  I was truly going to be a part of the “12th Man”…even if it was from the quiet side.  

The thing about not having expectations, is that everything is a surprise, and the result is a genuine feeling of being happy.  That is what being a soccer fan does for me.  I have written before about always being the one with the clipboard.  When it comes to soccer, I don’t have to be.  Being an STH, I found this to be even more so.  There were so many events and happenings that I would not have enjoyed otherwise.  I took great pleasure in arriving to games and events and not having to worry about anything.  All I had to do was have fun.  The results may not have been a winning MLS season, but I have so many pictures and memories of amazing times with my family and friends.

My first unexpected surprise came early in the season when I was bestowed the honor of being the April Season Ticket Holder of the Month.  It was one of those once in a lifetime experiences that I could have never dared to imagine.  My family and I got to watch the team warm-up on the pitch, we had our 15 seconds of fame up on the Jumbotron (my name in lights…and spelled correctly), we sat field level for the game, and had access to the VIP tent filled with food and beverages (best Limerita I ever had).  For the first time in my life, I wasn’t the one responsible for organizing people and happenings.  I was the one being organized.     

All of this came to be when I received a cold call from DC United in September 2012.  I usually never answer my cell phone when it rings (in fact, I don’t even have it set to ring).  I think I just happened to look over and see it blinking with an incoming call.  I answered it.  I’m glad I did.  I didn’t just math things out and decide on the spot to become a STH for the 2013 season (who does that?).  I had a fantastic conversation about the sport of soccer.  I also became fast friends with a fellow soccer enthusiast who would soon learn who the Smashing Pumpkins are.

Before moving forward to the 2014 DC United Season...here is my look back at some of my favorite moments from 2013:


Home Sweet Home in RFK...
Home Opener Tifo...
We met Nick DeLeon!!! 
On the Jumbotron...





Tailgating Happy!!! 
The plus of being on the quiet side is seeing all the Tifo...
Meet the Team Day - Lucky 13!!!
Talon!!!!
This has also doubled as my wallpaper on my work computer....
At the tunnel at half time...
First DC United Away Game - US Open Cup vs. Chicago Fire
On the bus to Jersey!!!
Flag Wavin' at Red Bulls Arena...
We won the cup!!!
Tailgating with Friends...one of several gatherings at RFK...
I should have taken a picture from when I nearly filled two rows in my section!!
Me...with the Cup...and Chris Korb!!!
I finished a Marathon and made it to RFK in time!!!





No comments: