The tenth week of 2010 was my official "getting my head back in the game" week. One of the areas that I had to tackle was getting control of my blood sugar. I actually didn't make it a focus point because it has been on that list for the past 22 years. My thought this year was that my four other focus points would help me to tackle the whole diabetes thing by allowing me to be more balanced. I have had an incredible blood sugar week...which is related to the fact that I started Weight Watchers Online Thursday before last. I'm religiously counting my carbs and therefore taking the right amount of insulin to cover them. It is amazing what a bit of focus will do.
Here is a quick list of progress...in each of my four focus areas.
Operation Getting Your Shit Together - Week #10
1. Controlling When I Look at Blackberry - Monday was a very tough day...but all in all it was a pretty good week. The really amazing thing was that I took Thursday off of work...and I only answered two of the many, many emails I received. I just kept telling myself that I could tackle things the next day. So I did!! This was a huge step...and it made for a terrific day off...and I didn't even feel guilty about it.
2. Take Time to Breathe - When I did feel really stressed out...I took the time to remember the important things. Like why I show up to work everyday...because Cancer Sucks!! I looked at my "Joel Sign" and the butterflies in my office. I remembered the great time I had at lunch with my Camper Angela. I thought about my Camper Sarah and how she was having her head shaved for St. Baldrick's Day.
3. Go to the Movies - Does watching some of the Oscars count? Does adding to the list of things that you want to see count? Oh well...I'm not perfect. Did not see any movies. ;)
4. Gym = Transition - Sunday started off with a session with my Trainer who kicked my strength training workout in the ass by stepping things up for me. I felt awesome and sore afterwards. I loved it. Since the weather was warmer, I walked outside three nights for cardio. Worked so hard on the elliptical trainer at the gym that my blood sugar plummeted. Did my new strength training routine at the gym on my own and did not feel like a dork at all. Life is Good!!
5. Other - Lots of fun things this week...I was able to have lunch with one of my campers...Angela...she is an amazing person who fills me with pride. She is brave. She is beautiful. She kicks Cancer Ass. She writes gorgeous poetry. She is strong. My sis and I saw Henry Rollins on Wednesday night. He never disappoints. Amazing. The time goes by so fast. Got a really nice note from the boss...which was the extra bit of motivation that I needed. Enjoyed a productive day off on Thursday...which included a car wash. I love that my baby girl is all clean!! Filled out my camp application and sent it in. Took a killer Saturday afternoon nap. Perfection.
Upcoming Week Expected Highlights: Grumblings from the time change, clocking time at the gym, celebrating St. Paddy's Day, going to the movies with my sis, seeing how much progress I make on Week #2 of WW, and editing my novel