Blog Archive

Saturday, March 6, 2010

My life in numbers...since 1987...

I think I have written before about how my life is ruled by numbers and the struggle in trying to remember that my blood sugar doesn't equal my worth as a person. It is all about the numbers - blood sugar level, number of carbs, and insulin ratios. My calculator is my best friend...and a life necessity actually. It ranks right up there with insulin.

So, as part of OGYST, I have added in another component. The one that I have been avoiding over these first nine weeks...tackling food. I know what a huge commitment it takes. I know that it is really hard work. I know that I am ready to now take it on. My plan of action for this has added something else for me to count...points.

I am consistently motivated by my sister and my good friend who have been doing WW, so I decided to take the plunge too. It feels like a good kind of peer pressure. I was feeling so lousy this week that I decided that I need to shake things up and try something that I have never tried before. I'm doing the online program and I am not going to lie. For me, it is double work. Two things to count and track. Carbs and Points.

It is an adjustment...the biggest problem so far has been remembering to take insulin to cover the carbs I am eating. I am good at tracking the points and get so excited about how best to allocate them. So excited, that I forget the other part...tallying up the carbs and taking the insulin to cover them. I'll get there...it is just getting used to a new routine. I like that there is an allowance of points that you can use throughout the week. There is a psychology there that makes a lot of sense. It is all about budgeting for the things you really want. Again..with the numbers!!

1 comment:

PinkyGiraffe said...

J-if you are doing the WW online program, make sure you check out the message boards, they have boards focused on diabetes. Welcome to the club!!