Blog Archive

Thursday, May 30, 2013

In these last three days...



You would think with only three days standing between me and getting to the starting line of the half marathon I would be thinking about crossing the finishing line and getting a medal.  Instead…do you know what I am obsessing about?  Shoes.  I have such massive shoe envy it is ridiculous.  Way back when…I used to run after work and school…I also used to wear 3 inch heels everyday…the result…plantar fasciitis.  So you can imagine when I decided to train…I knew that I was going to have to rethink my shoe wearing.  I have been “flats only” since February.  For the past few weeks…since I am worried about getting blisters before the big day…I’m have only been wearing shoes that fit perfectly.  Boring…but necessary.  All my pretty shoes like these just sit in my closet waiting for me.  There will be no heels for me until after October 12…now that is commitment!!

That is when I knew that I was pretty serious in my determination to hit all three of my fitness goals this year (walk 10 miles – DONE, finish a half marathon, and finish a marathon).  I am organizing my life around them.  I’m not wearing heels.  I’m sometimes late to things.  I’m taking time to hydrate, check my blood sugar and eat healthy.  I have made this a priority.  It is the first thing I think about in the morning when I wake up.  It is the last thing I think about before falling asleep.  It is forward momentum.  It is determination.  It is will.  I have not ever pushed myself to the limit physically before.  I could say that this will happen on Sunday morning…but the truth is…I have already pushed.  Every bit of everything that I have put in over the past 14 weeks is what will get me to the starting line…all that happens afterward is the reward.  

And so we are clear...the reward I am referring to is all the good "inside" stuff...and not materialistic things like some medal or a beautiful pair of shoes like these....


No comments: