Blog Archive

Friday, July 1, 2011

On your Mark... Word Count = 0

I'm sitting in Panera by the magical orange wall that brings forth words and words of noveldom, but I haven't written a thing. It is strange to be embarking upon a noveling journey when it is light outside at 8pm. I don't have a winter coat resting on a chair with my laptop bag. I'm in summer attire. I'm drinking cold beverages instead of hot. There is no bowl of tomato soup to stir the muse, just a frozen lemonade. It is summer!!! And I am CampNanoWrimo bound...almost...I think.

I have an idea. I have a title. My main character now has a name. But I haven't started yet. I'm not sure what the problem is. I have been playing the name game for the past hour. Scribbling doodles in my official novel notebook...names and names and scratched out names and more names still. I think I have settled on a few to get to me started. Are you curious? Well, this book is going to be about Sunni Gilliam. She is taking shape in my mind. I'm thinking about what she does for a living. Who her friends are. What she likes to do after work and on the weekends. What kind of car she drives. I already know what she wants and the obstacles in her way. Maybe I am thinking too much and should just do what I do in November...open a new document...look at the beautiful blank page...and then fill it without any worries.

1 comment:

sisu twenty-twenty said...

sometimes you do need to think about it. maybe you'll wake up in the middle of the night and just start writing, free of plans. don't stress about it. it will happen in the right time and space sequence :)