Blog Archive

Saturday, November 9, 2013

First Part and Second Part (Word Count = 8,084)

A goody bag from one of my NanoWrimo
Buddies...filled with J stuff!!! 
A different kind of marathon now...my writing one...it is National Novel Writing Month...and I'm already set on my 8th journey.  7 crappy first draft of novels sit upon the shelf...I never finish them...but maybe this year I will.  I'm far behind where my word count should be.  I initially set my goal to 65K instead of the required 50K words...I could still get there.  The start has been slow...I did not really get going until Monday when two things happened -  I heard a song that spurred the words and then I met with several of my writing friends at Panera after work.  I got my first thousand words. On Thursday I wrote with them again...and got 3K in just a few hours.  Then I got 1K more at home on my own while listening to a soccer game.  Last night, another 2K in about 1 and 1/2 hours.  I'm definitely a faster writer than I am a walk/runner...but the work pays off in both (and feels pretty good too).
 
This year is different.  I'm cheating a little bit.  All of my words will not be for a new novel.  The first set of words are to finish up a novel I wrote in 2009.  Of all of things I have written...it is the closest to being done...it is the one I think about the most.  It all spurred from a life happening that caused me pause when I got a call from work while Kid Cudi was performing...one scene formed in my head and then I ended up creating this unexpected quirky story that I still love.  I will finish it.  I have completed the missing part that I have been mulling over for 4 years. I will have to fix up a few things to tie everything together...but I will save that for December.  I will finish it before the new year...that is my next goal!

So...now...as I head into the weekend...all the words from here on out will be for a new novel idea.  I'm easing into it.  I know the overall story.  I know the complication.  It will be my first attempt at young adult fiction.  I don't know my main characters names yet.  I don't know what they will look like.  I don't know if they hate or love their parents.  I don't know if they have siblings.  I don't know where they live.  This is how I write...I'm a true pantser (fly by the seat of your pants).  Unlike everything else in my life...my writing is truly free...no lists...no structure...no plans...no schedules...it is perfect.

No comments: