Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow versus Fitness...

In case I haven't mentioned it, I love snow. It makes me giddy...like a five year old. Despite the beating the East Coast has been taking, I still love snow. The worst thing about snow is that it does have the power to ruin plans. It makes going to shows, parties, movies and anyting else fun much more difficult (or with some level of risk). This for me now includes the gym. I really, really miss my gym. I am in Week #6 of my new routine and haven't been to the gym since last Monday. Somehow, using the treadmill and staionary bike in the basement while watching How I Met Your Mother or Powerpuff Girls (don't judge) is not quite the same. Shoveling the snow is great exercise...don't get me wrong...it feels great to accomplish moving a bunch of stuff from here to there. It is just not the same...

Here is a list of things that I love about my gym:

1) The way it looks just like a spa when you walk in.

2) The feeling of accomplishment you have when your membership card is swipped. Getting there is more than half the battle.

3) The lockers...which have key locks on them...so you don't have to bring your own lock.

4) Locker #103

5) Free Towels...more room in the gym bag and less hassle in terms of figuring out what to do with wet towels (i.e. slung over the backseat in the car).

6) The endless sea of treadmills and elliptical trainers. One could really not want for more.

7) Getting my workout sheet from the "W" section and a tiny pencil to write in my sets and reps. It makes me feel so strong!! Especially now that I am increasing the weights. ;)

8) The squat leg press...it is my most favorite.

9) The fact that I no longer fear the balance ball or feel like a total dork when using one.

10) The sauna

11) The feeling of a warm shower after a great workout.

12) The worn out fanasticness of walking to the car and recognizing that all the stress of the day has left me.

13) My adorable Vera Bradley "Carried Away Tote" in Sittin' in a Tree...it is the best gym bag EVER. (I know this really has nothing to do with what I love about the gym.) But wait...it fits perfectly in the lockers...so there you go!!

I feel better now...just thinking about all the things that will be waiting for me when I return makes me feel all happy inside.

2 comments:

PinkyGiraffe said...

This makes me smile:>)

Joy Wizziwa said...

Woohoo!!! You are my exercise inspiration. Whenever I want to skip a workout...I think about seeing you attack the Iron Girl...and I am instantly motivated.