Blog Archive

Thursday, December 5, 2013

After the 26.2 - Slow and Steady Wins the Race...

It has been many weeks since I crossed the finished line, but I am just now (finally) starting to feel back at my usual strength.  I did not think it would take this long.  There have been a few false indications of said "usual strength" returning along the way.  This feels different.  I have been worried that maybe I was just lazy and reverting back to my old ways.  I was starting to think that I was never going to feel like a gym rat bad-ass every again.  The good news is...I think I am finally back...not quite at full strength...but I am getting closer each day.

I have been getting Physical Therapy for my right knee and hip for about six weeks now (two days a week)...and the results have been remarkable.  I'm actually glad I got this horrible cold/cough thing (which still lingers), because I think it actually helped me to really rest and focus on the PT with no distractions from my boy gym.  I have been feeling guilty for my lack of time with gym, but as it turns out, it was the best thing I could have done.  I had a re-evaluation last night at PT...and I have improved drastically in terms of balance and range of motion (20 whole degrees!!!).  We are going to start the "weening off PT" process next week.  I am so excited!!  

Truth be told, my therapist just yesterday said I could start to ease back into my regular gym routine. (Whoops...I was already starting to do that!!) I did my first strength training workout in a long time this AM with my trainer/friend Stacy K...it felt awesome...so I know I am on the mend (and not just because I got some cool presents).  I am also allowed to try a short walk/run too.  I am so excited to get outside and get a mile or two or three.  I have not walked or ran in such a long time.  I can't explain how much I have missed it.  My goal is to get back to the point where I can do 10 miles on a Saturday.  I know I will get there...as always...one mile at a time.


Early morning presents at the gym...it really did happen!!!

 


No comments: