Blog Archive

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Rewind (August): Chelsea and the Beach

I had not ever taken a true summer vacation before...usually I go to camp and that is my summer vacation. Given my training schedule, I made the tough decision to not to go to Camp Fantastic this year.  Instead, I booked a family vacation in Virginia Beach.  Given the Chicago excursion, I ended up taking 12 days off of work and it was fantastic.  As it turned out, I readjusted our vacation plans twice due to soccer...extended vacation to go to Chicago and then left a day later for the beach so that my Mom could see one of her favorite  teams (Chelsea) play.  The joy on her face seeing all of her favorite players walk right in front of her and play...there are no words for how incredible it was.

It was fun to be at RFK for once and not be stressed at all.  It was also weird to be there in normal summer clothes...no DC United gear at all.  I can't even remember how many miles had done earlier that day...maybe 14...like many Saturdays this past summer...I was limping but happy.  My sister and I surprised my Mom with a scarf...while she was watching the match.  Our seats were spectacular...we were right up in front not too far away from where Chelsea took the field.  We are very lucky in all of our soccer pursuits.

Here are some pictorial flashbacks from the Chelsea game on August 10...

It was a takeover...

Another beautiful night at RFK...

Crazy to be so close...

Mom's Favorite...

Michael Bradley
 
Juan Mata!!

And then the next morning we left for the beach...it was an easy trip...made even easier by a little rest stop in Williamsburg to visit with one of my favorite families...The Baillies!! My Mom and Sister had never met my friends Nate and Karen or their sweet Joelene.  We had a fantastic afternoon...lots of quality time with Joelene and swapping Joel stories.  It is always nice when your friends become instant friends with your family.  I'm so lucky!!

The beach was fun...but I have to be honest...I ended up working on my laptop way too much. I was a bit bitter about it...so I had to keep reminding myself that at least I was at the beach.  There were moments when the whole thing felt like a disaster, especially since both my Mom and Sister were sick with cough/colds.  But, staring for hours at the water always does me good.  Running on the board walk and on the beach was good for my soul too.  Even with the work interruptions...I felt rested and yet not lazy because I was still able to keep up with my marathon training.  I (of course) negated this with too much good food and drink...but that it is what vacations are all about.

The other highlight was being able to see my childhood friend, Bianca, who is a newscaster on the local news. I have never had a chance to see her do her thing on air (well other than on Cougar TV in High School)...and it was great.  With busy schedules...it was hard to find time to get together...but as luck would have it...we found each other for a quick visit.  I had checked in at the Starbucks near our hotel and she was at the gas station right across the street.  We were classy...she was all pretty for the shots they were doing and I was in my running clothes.  It was fantastic.

The Beach Life...I would do it again...

We are really bad at packing...I am the worst... :)

Rainbow...

Mornings with Coffee and the Sunrise....
A surprise from Bianca's Mom...TuTu...so sweet...

King Neptune...

Could stare for hours...so calming...

Yep...still staring...still calm...

Vacation Me...even though I wasn't at camp...it was with me...in the form of bracelets....

Mommy and Me after our walk/run together on the boardwalk....

Sissy and Me....

Evidently...Vacation Me gets Henna Tattoos too...A firefly...in honor of Chass...another Camp reminder...

More Water...and Walking along the beach...
Keeping up with Training and Starbucks Consumption....

Even found an Irish Pub to watch soccer....and they had Magners on Tap!!

No comments: