Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Week 16 - The Road to 26.2

For the first time over the past 16 weeks, I had zero issues in terms of training.  I hit every single goal.  I was motivated.  I had energy.  I X'd through every item on my training plan...this was the first time in a long time that I did not have any skip days.  I am pretty happy about that!!

That last week...pretty proud of those X's

8 miles near the place I saw my first soccer game..
I think not getting my 18 miles last week gave me the extra kick I needed.  Work was insanely busy and even though I was exhausted...I pushed myself to get to the gym anyway.  It helped.  There is no time for slacking now...race day is less than 4 weeks away.  Before my 8 miles on Saturday, I tried something different.  On Friday night, I was really hungry.  So (while hydrating of course) I decided to eat a bunch of carbs.  I usually don't do this because I'm always worried about my blood sugar being too high the next morning which would make doing a long walk/run more challenging.  Plus...it makes me really tired...so getting up early is harder too.  Much to my surprise...I woke up feeling pretty good.  My blood sugar was higher than I wanted it to be...but I felt energized...so I decided to just go for it.  It was only 8 miles...it would be a good test.  The truth is...it was my best walk/run ever.  I felt fantastic.  I had so much energy.  I had no pain.  I didn't have to pop any lifesavers.  When I got my 8 miles...I felt like I could do many, many more.  By the time I got back to my car...I had 9.5 miles...and I was beaming.  I'm sure the perfect weather helped too.  So carb loading...maybe I will give it another whirl on Friday night.  I have 20 miles to get on Saturday...that will be the end of Week 17...and the longest distance I will travel before the marathon.  I remember when I first started this training plan...looking at that last page...seeing 20 miles...thinking...can I really do this?  Yes...yes I can.
An extra mile and a half by the end...



No comments: