Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Week 15 - The Road to 26.2

8 miles short...

Almost one month away…one month!!  I’m excited.  I’m terrified. I’m feeling more ready.  It was another good training week…I always feel better when I get in good strength training workouts.  I just feel more powerful.  I was able to get in two…plus a good elliptical machine session too.  All week long I was honing in on the 18 miles that I needed to get…trying to eat well, hydrate, and rest.  These three elements are the key to everything.  They did not exactly happen as I headed into the weekend, but it was worth it.  My love of soccer has jostled my plans a few times over the past few weeks and I don't ever regret it.  My Terps had their home opener against Duke...and I got to cheer them on to victory as part of a record setting crowd!!  If I had not seen them play just over two years ago...I'm sure I would not be training for a marathon.  Seeing the hard work that happens on the pitch motivates me...back then and now.  So as I woke up early on Sunday to get those 18 miles...I was feeling ready.  I was moving along at a great pace...feeling good...right up until mile 8.  I was starting to struggle...I just didn't feel right and my heart started to sink.  It was hitting me that I probably was not going to get those 18 miles.  I had started another loop around the Soccerplex near where I was parked...and instead of just turning around and heading back to my car...I kept moving forward.  Actually, it didn't even occur to me to turn around.  Maybe that means more then getting the 18 miles.  I could have stopped at 8, but I didn't.  I walked, hydrated, and pushed my way through 2 more miles.  I got 10 miles.  I was devastated but one of my friends reminded me of something... "You can't get to mile 20 when you need to if you hurt yourself getting 18. Chin up!

Focus Points - time/mile markers
The point of training is getting yourself ready.  It is about adapting to situations that you can’t predict.  I know that when I focus...I get where I need to be.  I trust my intuition.  I listen to what my body is telling me.  I made up my mind that I was going to finish that last loop...and I did.  And when I got back to my car...my sister was waiting for me...just to make sure I was okay.  She was nearby and decided to check on me after getting my "I'm not going to finish - sadface" text.  I'm lucky.  There is a tremendous amount of energy behind me getting these 26 miles.  I feel it everyday.  I am grateful.  My trainer Stacy K will be right along with me for the journey.  There is work that I need to do.  Getting these miles is not supposed to be easy.  I have two sticky notes on one of my monitors at work.  Two reminders about miles and time as I get ready for the Baltimore Marathon.  I need to get 13 miles within 3.5 hours.  I need to get 26 miles within 7 hours.  I focus on these two notes.  I stare at them.  I think about them. I visualize myself getting those 26 miles.  I have decided to do this...and I will get it done.

No comments: