Blog Archive

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Week 1 - The Road to 13.1

Here we go...my first week of training for the half marathon in June.  It did not start off as I had planned, but I guess that is to be expected.  Life happens and you have to adjust.  As long as you don't give up and keep moving forward...right?  I was not feeling well...so I missed one of my training days.  The good news/bad news is that it was a cross training day...so I did not lose out on any miles. ;)

I used to just walk one day a week...now I get to walk 3 times a week!!  The two things that I need to work on are my nutrition and using the heart rate monitor.  I'm starting to think that maybe I am just lazy and not pushing myself enough.  I have a hard time raising my heart rate while walking...I guess I just need to keep fiddling with the incline and speed.  But I sure feel like I am working hard...even though the HRM says I am not.

Today was my walking for mileage day versus walking for intensity for a specified amount of time day.  I decided to take it outside...and I was happily surprised that I did a pretty good job of keeping my 4 mph pace even though I didn't have the treadmill pulling me along.  I was worried about it.  It felt so good to be outside...I love walking...it does my mind good.  I am also now obsessed with the Nike Running App...I love that it tracks your pace and mileage.  I love that I can link it to Facebook so that my friends can "cheer" me along.  It is kind of cool to be walking along and then get a roaring cheer...it is so motivating.  I am lucky to have so much amazing support...every like and comment and tweet helps me along.

My good friend N sent me something that I really needed to read...I have never trained before.  I always just worked out.  It was good to see how the two things are different.  My fears of earlier in the week are starting to dwindle...and reading this helped.

Training vs Working Out
Training is when you have a progressive plan with measurable goals and continual challenges. Working out is anything that makes you sweaty and tired but not necessarily better because it lacks consistency, direction and specificity.

I'm liking having goals.  This journey is so different.  I'm feeling good.  I'm making progress.  I've got good support.  I can do this.  I know I can do this.

No comments: