Blog Archive

Friday, November 16, 2012

A familiar voice....

My Grandpa...

It is in the moments of your regular routine when divergent paths present themselves.  You are then faced with a decision to make…in split seconds…with limited information…and only your intuition to guide you.  Do you take a few extra seconds to veer of schedule?  I think it is called stopping to smell the roses.  I’m trying to be better about that.  Every morning I arrive in my office, take out my cellphone and blackberry; stow away my purse; log into my computer; and check to see if I have any unanswered calls logged and if the red light appears on my phone.  This morning as I checked my voice mail…I was reminded that an old message was about to expire.  It was a message that I have not ever listened too.  It was one that my sister forwarded to me…just in case I ever wanted to listen to it.  I have been saving it for the past five years.  It was a voice mail my Grandpa left my sister…towards the end of his days.

This morning, I was ready.  Instead of instantly saving it, I decided to listen.  Hearing my Grandpa’s voice was exactly what I needed.  His 92nd Birthday would have been yesterday…the five year anniversary of his being out and about in the universe is next month.  It felt like it was time.  Did I cry?  Yes.  Did it feel like he was right on the other end of the phone? Yes.  Did it remind me how much I miss him?  Yes.  Did it give me strength?  Yes.  Did it remind me how much I am loved?  Yes.

I am firm believer that everything happens for a reason, I knew that I needed an extra energy boost as I head into the weekend.  I want to be all that I can be this weekend…I want to listen…I want to bring cheer…I want to be strong…I want to be fully present for each and every moment.  Actually, maybe that sums up how I want to be always...each and every day.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

You are so lucky to have that voicemail to listen to! While I can still hear my grandma's laugh in my mind, I would love to hear it with my ears just one more time. What a precious gift you were given. Know that he was right there with you while you were listening.