Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I am an Athlete? (The Jury Might Be In...)

My first mathing out of what it was going to take...
Despite my knee not bothering me, I decided to keep my PT appointment scheduled for tonight.  Knowing that the miles are going to continue to increase with my training...it seemed smart to be sure that nothing stands in my way of getting those 26.2 miles.  I am so glad I did.  My right knee problems have nothing to do with my knee...but my right hip.  A problem I have been dealing with for years...and I had grown so used to it...it did not even occur to me that it could be the problem.  It is all connected...repetitive motion with incorrect form...leads to other injuries.  I felt like such an idiot as the light bulb went off over my head.  It was quite the epiphany...and I am thrilled to finally be fixing the real problem.

During the initial evaluation, one of the things I was asked to do were squats.  Upon completely several, my therapist complimented me on my form.  All of the work Stacy K has been giving me the past several years was recognized.  And when you are not holding a kettle bell or Vipr...your form is even better.  It is in moments like those where it hits me how far I have really come in terms of my time with Gym. There was yet another revelation to be made...while scheduling my next few appointments my therapist commented on how fun it was to work with an athlete.  An athlete?  Me?  I smiled and I didn't correct him.  He was right...I am an athlete.

No comments: