Blog Archive

Friday, January 28, 2011

Day One - Welcome Home!!

It hit me long before the big event on December 27th that there is a beautiful story in witnessing the circle of life. I love reading about my friends becoming parents and grandparents...and it occurred to me that taking care of people you love is a universal experience. One that you can relate too...even if you are not a parent or a grandparent. As a granddaughter I have been lucky to care for my grandparents...but it does not compare to the touching experience of watching my mother really and truly care for them.

2010 was a year of changes and adjustments for my family...and 2011 has not started without this same theme. As I was driving to CVS tonight it hit me...bringing Grandma home today was like bringing home a new baby (well...from what I remember when my sister came home, reading facebook, and blogs - Kelly V especially). You are scared. You are nervous. There is much shopping to do. There is a feeling that your life is going to change...because it is...in amazing ways that you could never predict. And...there are new toys!!

So, in the spirit of my love of lists...here is a list of some of the new toys we have...

* Hospital Bed
* New Wheelchair...ahem...which may have pink on it
* Oxygen (I learned a lot about this tonight...I feel like the family expert on this one!!)
* Air Mattress and Pump
* Transfer Board
* Ramp
* Hoyer Lift
* Foot Pillows
* Lots of Pillows, Flat Sheets, Bed Pads, Blankets, and Pillowcases
* Oral Swabs
* Many, Many More Prescriptions
* Cute Puppy Stuffed Animal with a Rose in His Mouth

Hmph...who would have thought I could write a list that did not include Vera Bradley?? See...these are the life changes I was just writing about.

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

your grandma will have the best care ever, with that team looking out for her. thinking of all of you...

Kelly V said...

I think we have some of the same things on our list! ...But Grandma's food is probably preferable! ;)

Sounds like she is in good hands. Blessings to you all!

(p.s. - thanks for the shout-out!)

Joy Wizziwa said...

Thanks Elizabeth...knowing that a few people read this really helps too. I'm finding writing is really helping to sort all this out. :)

Thanks Kelly!! Oh...if only the food was better...puree diets are challenging...and we are trying out some baby food too. Once we get a schedule going I know my Mom will get her culinary genius going to cook yummy things and then puree. Hmm...I feel another blog topic coming on. ;)