Blog Archive

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thursday 13 - Reasons Why I Work So Hard

I hated cancer long before I ever had a personal reason to. I know the exact moment when it happened. I was watching a documentary on PBS about a little girl being treated by doctor. At the time I was watching it, I did not know that I would someday meet that doctor in person my first day on the job. The fact that I serendipitously ended up working for the very place whose work was highlighted on that documentary just shows that it was meant to be. I was captivated then and now. I’m a workaholic and feel very lucky that I can use my business-brain to help those with scientific ones.

My Thursday 13 this week is dedicated to the 13 reasons why I work so hard. Hope they are as motivating for you as they are for me...

1. Grandpa - He taught me how to work hard early on and I hope I make him proud. I miss him each and every day.

2. Joel West Baillie - He taught me how to live life in a bus ride conversation I know will stay with me in my heart forever. CAKE Rules!!! And thanks to him…there are some songs that I just can’t listen too without bursting into tears.

3. Chassity Flint - She taught me to go after what I want because it is silly not too. Every butterfly, dragonfly, and ladybug reminds me of her strength, grace, and love. Oh yes…and she helped me to find my inner diva.

4. Camp Fantastic Campers - Each and every lovely face that smiles and giggles in the most perfect place in the world that exists for just one week in August. The amazing energy they bring that fills the hollow the moment they make their way down the winding roads in the buses with the teams of motorcyclists that lead them in. How their strength and bravery surpasses all that faces them. How every year you are forever changed because of each and every one of them.

5. Camp Fantastic Volunteers - The energy, creativity, and unconditional love of a special group of people who gather for one week in August and make it happen. A team in every sense of the word. Willing hands to help. Smiling faces to cheer. And duct tape…lots and lots of duct tape.

6. Cancer Sucks - I don’t know that I need to give any specifics on this one. It touches everyone in one or another and that fact never leaves me.

7. Great Minds - I am so lucky to be able to interact with incredibly smart people who work tirelessly to kick cancer ass. If any little bit of what I do throughout the day helps them…then in some way I am kicking cancer ass too.

8. Caretakers - The strength, tenacity, and love of the folks who care is not always seen or out in the open…but it is there and it is strong.

9. The Horizon – There is something about my intuition that tells me that some of the ideas that I hear percolating now are going to bring good things in the future. When I sit in meetings sometimes I get goose bumps thinking about where things are going to go over the span of my career. Perspective is a very cool thing.

10. This Picture. (See #4 above)



11. Appreciation – Positive reinforcement goes along way so when people tell me that me I never “nag”, I “remind” it makes me feel good. Not everyone can keep things moving along in a “nice” way. ;) Maybe my first name helps…can you get mad at someone named Joy???

12. Writing – I may never finish any novels but my working writing helps to tell different kinds of stories and that is still satisfying.

13. Motivation – When I get tired or frustrated all I have to do is think of items # 1 – 10 and then I keep on going.


Do you have a reason for me to keep working hard? Drop me a comment and let me know...


If you would like to check out other Thursday 13's...have at it by clicking here!!!

13 comments:

Americanising Desi said...

love your list but number 12, i so can relate and so agree with :)

bless you!

Happy TT

http://2short2sweet.blogspot.com/2009/06/my-rights-to-living-life.html

Bianca said...

You rock woman! My brother just battled and beat lymphoma this year... because of the work that you do.
I would love to know more about Camp Fantastic and how I could get involved. Fill me in. The picture sucked me in!

Alice Audrey said...

I find hard work a reword in itself, but it's all the better when done in the service of something so worthy.

Hootin Anni said...

I too was taught to work hard at anything I tried to accomplish. This list today is a great inspiration to us all!!!


Hello....My 13 is about mockingbird facts, baby chick photos and crepe myrtle bushes in bloom. Stop by if you can!

Mia Celeste said...

Camp Fantastic sounds like a great place. Thank you for all that you do.

Unknown said...

"Do you have a reason for me to keep working hard?"

Yes I do. Everytime you tell your story it inspires someone to do something that makes a difference.
Kudo's to you.

Happy T13!

I am Harriet said...

That's so sweet. Good for you!

http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/06/13-best-places-to-live-in-usthursday-13.html

Carleen said...

Joy, you owe me a box of tissue! I've spent close to an hour reading about Joel (both your LJ entries and his website) and Chassity. I would say that they, and any of the other peds oncology patients you work with, are the only reasons you should keep doing what you do. Thank you for sharing this inspirational list. I will think of it whenever I want to feel sorry for myself because I've lost the current battle with The Brain.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Chris said...

thanks for sharing! :D happy TT!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful reasons to work so hard!

JO said...

great list. some of us just work because we needed the money... but the best way to work is to love what we are doing. Then even though we ended up being a workaholic, it is worth it.

Here's mine

Janet said...

Cancer touched me lightly a few years ago...a feather touch on the arm. Recently...Cancer punched me...but still (knock on wood), it didn't knock me out. I'll know more after my surgery on 6/18 for removal of it's home, a polyp. Wish me luck!

The Gal Herself said...

What a moving TT! You're right, cancer does eventually touch everyone, and that makes it everyone's problem. And I miss my grandpa, too. Thank you for making me stop and think.